Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sept 7th - Exploring Nanchang

Sept. 7 God bless Tylenol PM! I finally feel like I got a good night¡¦s rest. Megan went to sleep at 9:30pm, woke up at 2:30am, had a bottle, and slept til 8am. Wonderful! It was so nice not to have a rushed morning. We went down to breakfast at 9am. Megan had no interest in the highchair or breakfast.

This morning, CCAI provided a pediatrician to check over all the babies for no charge. The doctor is the head of pediatrics at a local hospital, so he is well-respected. Megan looked good except he felt she has an upper respiratory infection. She does sound congested at times and has an occasional cough. He ordered some amoxicillin and cough medicine. It comes in individual packets and we have to give 2/3 of a packet to her 3 times a day. Gotta love the measurement! ƒº I know you medical people are just cringing! Thankfully the medicine tastes good and she took it easily. We haven¡¦t tried the cough med. yet. They said that doesn¡¦t taste as good. I¡¦m not really concerned about her cough/congestion because she is eating, sleeping and behaving normally.

A couple of the other babies are also sick. One baby just has a cold, but is somewhat miserable. The other baby has been sick since gotcha day. Lily is 16 months old and she was in the same foster home until now. She is grieving the loss of her foster family. She has had several bouts of diarrhea. I believe this is the first child for her parents, Steve and Kathy. Please pray for this family.

After Megan had a bottle and a nap, we set out to find a McDonald¡¦s again. I must admit that a GPS would not have been on my packing list, but I¡¦m so glad that we have it. Brian spent quite a bit of time researching google maps and google earth to get good directions. So with GPS in hand, we set out. It is just as hot today, but there was a little bit of a breeze. After a mile of walking, we found the McDonalds. We had big mac meals and shakes. The pop was cold and tasted so good. After eating, we wandered around the department store that the McDonald¡¦s was attached to so we could stay in the air conditioning a little longer. We were also looking for a Diary Queen as Brian saw someone with a blizzard. We didn¡¦t find it though. Anyway, the department store was called Rainbow and it was huge! There were 9 floors. It was just like an upscale dept. store in the US with mainly western styles.

By the time we got back to our hotel, we were all tired and soaked in sweat. Megan drank a 12 oz. bottle and took a nap and Brian also took a nap. Apparently mom is becoming a little more popular as I put her down for a nap both times today. ¡§Who-loo¡¨ is ¡§don¡¦t cry¡¨ in Chinese. She seems to like to be cradled, swayed back and forth, and her butt patted while I say ¡§who-loo¡¨ many times to go to sleep. The cribs that the hotel supplies are a little smaller than a pack n¡¦ play. Because Megan is so mobile, sometimes when she moves around in the crib, she hits the side of it and it wakes her up. We might have to try the floor. Thankfully, so far it hasn¡¦t been too much of a problem.

For supper, our whole group went to a Chinese restaurant across the street from the hotel. It was meant to be a birthday party for the babies (a remembrance of the birth of their new families).

We are so thankful to our Lord that things have been going so smoothly. Thank you God for:

Good health ¡V both Brian and I have been feeling good. Our backs have not been bothering us too much. The Ergo baby carrier has been great. I carried Megan in it for 2 miles and my back did not hurt. We also have not had any digestive issues.

Megan¡¦s adjustment ¡V she has just been a wonderful 7 month old. So far she has not seemed to have a heavy grieving period. Please pray that her grieving will not be a big upheaval.

Good teamwork ¡V thankfully when one of us has been tired the other is able to take over. Yesterday I was exhausted and an emotional mess in the afternoon, but Brian had the needed energy. Today Brian needed a good nap and I took over.

Things I wish I would have packed: an umbrella (not for rain, but for shade) and a hand held fan, preferably one that also squirts water.

Posted via email from weissfamily-update's posterous

1 comment:

  1. So glad to here things are going good. When Katie saw the doctor in China I think we were given 5 powders of medicine to mix. It was kinda scary. Can't believe you brought a GPS with you. I would not have thought of that. Look forward to reading your blog every time you write.

    ReplyDelete